Monday, July 26, 2010

Where we have been the last two years!

Two and a half years ago on the week of our wedding, my husband and I bought a house. We were living in our one bedroom apartment in inner city Melbourne and this new house was 45 minutes out of the city in the Dandenong Ranges. On over half an acre and completely dilapidated this was a big job for us but it was cheap and the only way that we were going to be able to get the space that we wanted to build the life that we knew would make us happy. Luckily my husband Dave works in the building industry and is very handy! But when we found out that I was pregnant and that we had 9 months to make the house livable (which included completely gutting the inside) we knew we had our work cut out for us. But we made it and a few years now down the track we have our dream place where life is very good! We still spend almost all of our spare time working on landscaping and renovating and have a long way to go, but that is where we love to be and I have found that the one place where I can escape from everything and truly relax is in my garden. I have planted a cottage garden and herb garden that are going well and now I put most of my time into building up a vege patch that can sustain our family and hopefully some friends as well in the not too distant future. Here is a photo of the house when we bought it...
This is Dave working on the weatherboards

And the house as it stands today!

Our latest project has been to clear a useless and overgrown piece of land down the side of our house and turn it into a flat playground for Jonty, a native garden and the chicken run. This is what the space looked like about 2 months ago...

And what it looks like today. This is Jonty's playground with the level below the beginnings of the native garden and below that the chicken run.

Today is one of those perfect sunny winter days so Jonty and I are off outside to do a spot of gardening and to hang out with the chickens!

No comments:

Post a Comment