Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Mr Two Year Old

I've had a difficult week with Jonty. I guess this is the terrible twos that they tell me about! From the day that he turned two he started messing with his routine that he had been keeping for quite a while now. It was a routine that I could rely on. No matter how hard the day was I knew that he would go to sleep at 2pm and have at least two hours and then Dave would soon be home to help me keep him happy, occupied and do the bath, dinner, etc. But now, from day to day I don't know what is going to happen, not to mention that he has occasionally been waking over night!
The last few days have seen him settle down a bit and get back to some sort of regular sleeping but he has been throwing tantrums and just being generally unhappy.

I know through talking to other parents that when the sleeping routine goes out the window we all struggle. That routine is what you cling to some days. You know when you will get a chance to have a quiet cup of tea and get some chores done, or in my case it is when I can work. Take that sleep away and you feel stressed, overwhelmed and lost.

I have learnt something through all of this, and previous hard times however. I know that with Jonty there will be difficult times. Sometimes he will be cranky for no reason or will wake during the night...just because. Sometimes I just can't control any of this. So, I have found that the best way is to stay as calm as possible and ride it out. If I let it get to me, or get angry with him that only makes things way worse... not just for Jonty but for me too. I have decided that just because Jonty is having a bad day it doesn't mean that I have to as well.
I'm not saying that I can do this every time but when I can manage to the day doesn't seem as bad and Jonty is much more likely to get over it faster. Also you tend to focus more on staying calm rather than on how bad things are and this helps as well. I still discipline him but I don't yell.
I know this wouldn't work for everyone but for me if I raise my voice it makes me more upset and through all of this I am trying to save myself as much stress as possible... and Jonty!

2 comments:

  1. Yes the twos can be hard. My little Goldilocks is about to turn three and boy have the past eight months been challenging. And she is my third so you would think I would be used to it by now. ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's good to know that I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete