Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sharing produce

When we bought this place it was always our intention to become as self sustainable as possible. I feel that living on such a big piece of land warrants a commitment to at least growing some of our own food, after all, our footprint is so much bigger than someone living in the inner city and we do have to drive quite a lot for work. The future for our population probably is high density living with good public transport and green technology. So, making the decision to live on a space that could house many more people came with, what I think, is the pay off; you have to be more self sufficient to lower and pay back that footprint. I'm hoping that we can more than cover our environmental impact and over time cover some of our friend's and family's as well.
We can do this by sharing our produce.

A friend of mine lives in inner city Melbourne with no backyard or growing space. And, every Friday I am on the road driving around the city working and delivering stock for my business. So on the way past her house I dropped off a little bag or surplus produce that we had. She gave me $5 for it which I will put in a kitty to pay for chicken feed, mulch, etc. This little bag of eggs, herbs and veg will be more than enough for her for the week. What's better, though, is that she is able to access locally grown organic produce which is normally so expensive that it is often out of touch for many people who want to do the right thing and make good choices. Another plus is that by giving the $5 to me (instead of a supermarket) to put back into the garden and chickens that provide the products she is eating, she is feeling connected to the garden and part of the process. She can come and visit me and walk through the garden she is eating from.
This is all part of my little plan! Once we are at full growing capacity we could sustain not just ourselves but also some friends and family with the opportunity to eat great, fresh, local, organic produce. This is a bonus for them but also for us as we know we are using our space for sustaining the amount of people that it should and therefore reducing our carbon footprint! It also gives others the chance to eat heirloom varieties that I am concentrating on growing and other more unusual vegetables that you would normally never be able to buy from a standard grocery store.
I just thought, that I guess this is an extension of the farmer's markets. The only difference is that I am personally known to the people I am giving my produce to and it is not a money making venture.
The revolution of farmer's markets all over the western world at the moment is amazing. It shows that the move and drive towards accessing good, local, organic food is here and strong and as more and more markets pop up it will become the norm to purchase your fresh produce in this way. It gives everyone more choices.

3 comments:

  1. That is wonderful how you share produce with your friend. I wish I had someone close by that had that much produce. I would be happy to pay for fresh, organic food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Coburg so feel free to stop by my place with a care package anytime. Heehee.
    D
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi from Upwey! I love this idea too.....we often have excess silverbeet and parsley - and I can't wait for too many tomatoes in a couple of months!

    ReplyDelete