Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Knitting obsessed!

I have discovered knitting! It's something that I have always wanted to do but I think that the timing has never been right and it's something that takes practice so needs some time dedicated to it. With this new baby on the way and with the cold, rainy weather, it just seems to fit in with the days quite nicely. I love at the end of the day, after all the chores have been done, sitting in front of the fire or the telly and making something. I'm not really very good at doing nothing and so I find that knitting gives me a relaxing yet productive activity that I can do while being relatively still.

The first thing that I did to teach myself was go to the local library and borrow every book I could get my hands on about learning to knit. I filtered through these and kept a hold of the few that I found easy to understand. Then, with the help of online videos I was able to fumble my way through the very basics. Mum came down to visit at about this time as well so I kept her up late one night trying to absorb the forty plus years of knitting experience that she has! I picked up this book at the local opp shop for $2.50 as well so I always have a book on hand at home.

I've started with really basic SMALL things so that I don't have to wait too long for a result (I'm pretty impatient and big projects right now might mean the end of my knitting career!) and have found these little boots knit up quickly. We also seem to be surrounded by a baby boom at the moment so they have made great little presents.

I've really enjoyed sourcing beautiful yarns. I've decided that if I am going to put all this time and effort into something that I have to use a good quality material. There is the local wool store up the mountain here that is fantastic and I love that I can now go in there and buy something to take home and use rather than just admiring it but not being able to do anything with it! Also at Camberwell market every week there is a stall that sells locally spun pure merino in wonderful colours for a great price. Now, the problem is that I want to knit with it all NOW! I have about four different things on the go at all times but I find this suits me and I can knit what I feel like at the time. I want this to be something enjoyable for me not a chore. I will slowly build up to more complicated projects but at a pace that I am comfortable with and without any pressure. This new craft is purely for my selfish enjoyment!

No comments:

Post a Comment