Tuesday, September 13, 2011

washer women

One thing that I have really noticed since Scarlett came along was the enormous increase in washing that I have to do! Little babies really do create a lot of extra work when it comes to housework and I am really feeling the noticeable difference.
Yesterday it seemed that all I did was washing. We don't have (or want) a dryer so it takes a bit of juggling to get it all dry as quickly as possible. It was a windy day yesterday so I seized the opportunity and rotated the wet washing on the balcony all day. Seriously, I think that I did about five loads and still didn't get to the bottom of the washing basket!


Since making my own washing powder and soap (you can read about that here) I have made an alteration and am now using my homemade soap grated in the laundry powder instead of store bought pure soap. I think that the results are better and the less products that I have to buy at the supermarket the better.
It's a simple recipe; 2 parts grated soap to 1 part borax and 1 part washing soda. It doesn't take much time and with a little baby and a toddler with very sensitive skin I know that I am doing the best for them in that regard.

I did, of course, also get the time yesterday to take some snaps of Scarlett and Jonty!


And, in case you were wondering, those very cute orange crochet shoes were given to Scarlett by Bec and can be found at her shop here in Melbourne, The Little Shop Of Handmade.


7 comments:

  1. Hi Theresa,
    Just popped over from Down to Earth.. loved reading about your babies.. have a grandson just the same age as Scartlett.. that makes me sound really old, but I don't feel it!!! Keep up the good work..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Theresa, I've also dropped over from D2E. Love the photos of your children and those little shoes are just so cute :-). Just wanted to say how wonderful it was to read about how you 'upcycle, recycle, re-use, repurpose items to make new garments etc. How inspirational and it's lovely to hear that your business is going well.
    Cheers
    Maria from Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've popped by from D2E as well!! I wanted to have a look at your recycled 'bits' but will come back when I have a bit more time to browse - I'm just sneaking a bit of time while the kids are out!
    The baby shoes are very cute but I'm sure you'll agree your little bub is cuter!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I also found you through Down to Earth! Your blog is great, and your current lifestyle mission is very similar to my own. My husband and I just bought our first home last year, and are working on becoming as self-sufficient as possible. Next year we hope to have chickens!

    Anywho, I'm glad to have found you from halfway around the world (I'm from Maine, US). I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Theresa

    Is this Down to earth thing a cult? I found you from there too!

    My partner has a greater earning capacity than I do, so I'm down to 3 days paid work a week, and also to focus on the needs of our gorgeous 2 and half year old daughter who has a Chromosome 18 disorder.

    And Mondays are washing days! (Which I secretly love, but don't tell anyone..)

    I'm old enough to remember my Mum hand washing, using Sunlight soap, and hand cranking the clothes through a wringer, not to mention using 'blue' to get the whites white.

    Now my partner despairs of me doing the washing at all, because I still have trouble telling whites from colours.

    P.S. Thursday - my other weekday at home is Gracie's (our daughter) playgroup morning, after we've ridden the bike over to the Queen Vic Market. All being well, I make a cake as well, if I get myself organised.

    I really like your blog, especially the photos.


    All the best



    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks everyone from down to earth for visiting! It's nice to connect with some new like minded people. I think that blogs are a really good way to feel like you are part of a community sharing a similar lifestyle....sometimes it can be hard to remember this when you are home alone most days with the kids. Every time someone leaves encouraging comments I feel more inspired and motivated to keep going.....to keep washing those cloth nappies when disposables would be so much easier! Thanks everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to see you're using cloth nappies. Love how you're living your life!

    ReplyDelete