Wednesday, May 2, 2012

growth

(*Jane, thought you might be interested in having a closer look at my terraced veg garden! T x)
The new veg garden is coming along well and I have only two more terraces to build.  I'm glad that I planted as I went cause now I have some growth to watch and it's motivating me to finish it all off.  The corn has been really fun to watch.  Jonty and I planted it together.  We are going to make popcorn out of some of it so he is particularly interested!  Also now rearing their lovely little green heads are kale, garlic, peas, lettuces,  broad beans, radishes and beetroot and I have heaps more space to plant loads more.  And by the time I finish the planting it will be time to harvest something which will make room for even more!  Staggered planting is definitely the way to go and with all this space that I now have there should be always something for Jonty to pull up and eat.  I am desperate to start harvesting something with him.  He's a fussy eater but I find that if he has grown it himself he is more inclined to give it a go especially if it means picking it straight from the plant and popping it in his mouth.  I was completely surprised the other day when I handed him a raspberry from our one small vine and he threw it with vigor into his mouth and declared it yummy!  He would never eat a raspberry inside from the fridge!











1 comment:

  1. Hi Theresa
    The garden is looking good!
    I love the idea of the kids growing the food they eat. I remember when my kids were young we had perpetual lettuce growing in a very small vegie patch along with tiny tomatoes, basil and parsley, but not much more - they loved going out and getting enough for dinner.
    I like the way you have the bamboo sticks as trellis; and paddle-pop sticks as markers - great ideas. I've always loved bush rock and will certainly be using it when I get to do my garden. I'll have to wait a little bit longer as hopefully a driveway is going in - then I'll be able to get started - there's nothing as disheartening as having stuff run over by a bulldozer, is there?
    xxx

    ReplyDelete